Participants in the GREAT Summer Research Program gain introductory research experience in state-of-the-art laboratories under mentorship of leading UC Davis faculty members in a wide variety of disciplines.
Our faculty are inspirational mentors and leading teachers—scholars in their fields. UC Davis’ 1,796 faculty members have received numerous awards and honors—they include 23 National Academy of Science members, 14 National Academy of Engineering members, 25 American Academy of Arts and Sciences members, and three Pulitzer Prize winners, among others.
Read more about UC Davis faculty and the impact they have across the world at the UC Davis One of a Kind website. Click here to view the GREAT Faculty Mentor list from previous years. Please note that professors on this list may not be available to host GREAT students this summer.
Students in the GREAT program are matched with a UC Davis faculty mentor based upon their preference, faculty availability and the discretion of the program faculty director. During the application process, students will list three UC Davis faculty members with whom they would like to work. At least one of the faculty members should be selected from the GREAT Mentor Faculty list noted above. You can find additional information about prospective mentors by searching for them on the internet.
You will gain introductory research experience in state-of-the-art laboratories under the mentorship of leading faculty members at the University of California, Davis, such as learning about planning and managing experiments, conducting independent experiments, analyzing data and summarizing research results. You will also:
- Participate in a summer academic course on graduate education and research, graduate application procedure, laboratory safety, professional writing, presentation skills and ethical issues
- Receive official UC Davis academic credits, transcripts and UC Davis Certificate of Completion in the GREAT Summer Research Program
- Develop a competitive edge in applying for Master’s and Ph.D. programs at UC Davis by developing relationships with faculty mentors, post-doctoral researchers and graduate students
- Participate in a capstone UC Davis Interdisciplinary Research Symposium with scholars and students engaged in multidisciplinary research collaborations
- Enjoy a cultural and recreational field trip to a scenic destination in Northern California
The GREAT Summer Research Program starts in mid-July and runs for approximately eight weeks.